Tuesday, 12 February 2013

First Month Faves




First Month Faves




 12 /  3 / 4 / 5 / 67 /


Most of these will come as no surprise to a lot of you moms out there. It seems we all exchange advice and end up falling in love with all of the same baby products. But I know these posts were extremely helpful when I was pregnant and working on our baby registry. In my opinion, these are a few things we could not have gone without this month.

1. I have already raved about using my Moby to get things done around the house. If you are on the fence about getting a wrap vs a more structured carrier, I beg you, get a wrap while your little one is tiny and wants you all the time. Reese is happiest when she is in my arms or sleeping on my chest. But its hard to eat a meal and get anything done on those terms. I credit the Moby for actually having dinner ready each night. Many of my friends enjoy the k'tan as well.

2. I wish I hadn't bought so much baby lotion. First of all, I am not a fan of all the junk they put in baby lotion. Yes, they smell yummy, but I don't feel good lathering my baby in chemicals. I raved about coconut oil during my pregnancy. Not only did I use it all over my growing belly, but as a makeup remover, moisturizer, hair mask, etc. Now, with baby, it has come in useful for cracked and sore nipples, red hineys, and especially my baby's skin. She feels so soft, and smells so delicious after a nice rub of coconut oil on her skin.

3. White noise is a must have for peaceful sleeping. Reese has been a great sleeper since day 1(knock on wood), and I wouldn't go one night without our sound machine. I even have a white noise app on my phone for when we travel.

4. Yes, the infamous aden and anais swaddle blankets made it on my list too!! When we first came home from the hospital, I wasn't impressed. We didn't use them at all the first two weeks. I found she stayed more tightly swaddled in her hospital receiving blanket and other blankies we had around the house. But I kept noticing she felt really warm when she woke up. Between the footsie jammys and thick swaddles, it was too much. The aden and anais swaddles are perfect balance of soft, light and stretchy. My baby does not like to be swaddled. we swaddle her with her arms up by her face, and it allows her just enough movement that she doesn't freak out. It almost feels like summer in Georgia already, and I can't imagine using anything different at night.

5. The Fisher Price Snugabunny Rock n' Play is one of our favorite products this month. Reese sleeps in her Rock n' Play every night. She sleeps at least 3 hours at a time, so I am not willing to switch it up anytime soon. They have plenty of fancy co-sleepers on the market. My advice- don't waste your money. The Rock n' Play comes up almost level on my side of the bed and i love being able to reach down and rock her if she starts to stir in the middle of the night.

6. Every set of parents feels differently about wipe warmers. They certainly aren't an "essential", but Reese loves diaper changes, and I think it has something to do with the nice warm wipes that clean her up. Personally, I wouldn't be happy with any cold wipes touching my bottom when I am half asleep. I also love that you can fill them with your own homemade wipes and wipe solution for a more natural option.

7. Nursing pillows are a MUST! I have a Boppy and a Brest Friend Pillow and love them both. Where I think the Brest Friend has an edge is that is a more firm structure, it doesn't start to sag in the middle where my Boppy does. It also snaps on around your back so it doesn't slip down or need to be adjusted during a feeding. It also has a little pocket on the front. I stick my cell phone or a water bottle in the pocket for convenience.


There you have it! These are most definitely our newborn essentials. What can we expect in the upcoming months? Anything we should have on hand for months 2 and 3 as she gets more alert and her sleeping patterns change? I will be blog stalking all of you to see what you loved in the past!



No comments:

Post a Comment