Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Lactation Cookies aka Boob Fuel

I had never heard of lactation cookies before I had Reese, but suddenly all the moms on the pregnancy boards were scrambling to make these "cookies" and save their milk supply. Sounds like magic. Although I've never had a real issue with supply, I can always use a good excuse to bake some cookies. So thats what I did.

Lactation cookies are made with oats, which are a natural milk booster. They are also jam packed with other healthy fats like flaxseed meal and brewers yeast.  In combination, these key ingredients are said to fuel the boobs, and give you a jump in supply. A lot of moms scarf these down as they are trying to create a freezer stash of milk before they go back to work. Me? I just thought they looked yummy.




Megan's Yummy Lactation Cookie Recipe
Makes about 20 cookies

1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1 stick of butter softened

1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 T flaxseed meal
1 T brewer's yeast
1 c flour
1 c oats
1 c dark chocolate chips (or chips of choice)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This really helps the cookies spread out.

Cream together the brown and white sugar and softened butter til fluffy. Add in the vanilla and 1 egg, beat for another 30 seconds. Add in the dry ingredients a little at a time mixing as you go and scraping down the sides. Mix in chocolate chips.

Spoon dough onto parchment paper and bake for around 10 minutes. I watch my cookies carefully and pull them out when the outer edges start to get golden brown. The middle of the cookie might still look a little pale but this is perfect timing. There's nothing worse than burned cookies, and these are already crunchy due to the oats.

These are so delicious, you can even enjoy them if you aren't breastfeeding. Watch your husbands face when you tell him they are good for his boobies. ;)



In my search for recipes, I came across some really yummy looking variations of lactation cookies if you wanna step outside the chocolate chip box. The possibilities are endless. Peanut butter, craisons, white chocolate, coconut flakes, walnuts, dairy free, gluten free.. there is a lactation cookie for everyone.



And if this isn't the best gift idea for a new mom I don't know what is. Genius.

via OnePartSunshine


5 comments:

  1. wow. That is awesome. Those look delicious and I like the little perk that comes along with them. I am going to have to try those out... and soon! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look yummy... I might make them cause it can't do any harm right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not going to lie..when I first read this title I thought that there was breast milk in the cookies! haha (call me crazy...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahaha! Omg, that's a new flavor I'd rather not try!

      Delete
  4. Just wondering what type of oats you used? Out of all the pictures of milk boosting cookies, yours looks the yummiest.

    ReplyDelete