Monday, 24 June 2013

A Rookie Mistake

Last week I posted about my poor baby not sleeping. I felt like I was doing everything wrong. I had never seen her cry out in her sleep like this before. And refuse the boob? Who is this child?

Well, I feel so dumb. I made a typical first mom rookie mistake of missing all of the signs for TEETHING! Yep, that's right, my poor girl was working on her first TWO teeth. No wonder the poor thing has been a mess. On Friday morning I finally felt what had been making my baby feel so awful. Two bottom teeth had finally cut their way through. It's taken all weekend for them to really come through the gums and now I am really hoping we are on the way out of this hellish nightmare called teething. At least for a few weeks when the next set decide to rear their ugly head.



I had no idea to expect teeth before 6 months of age. So I suddenly started scrambling looking for any teethers we got at our baby shower. I threw some wet washcloths into the freezer. I pulled out the Infant Tylenol and Hylands tablets and started fighting the teeth in full force. I feel so horribly guilty for letting her suffer those first few nights with no Tylenol or anything. No wonder she couldn't sleep. I wish I could take the pain from her. It's awful watching her arch her back and cry and pull at her mouth. And these are only the first two!



Since we are still exclusively breastfeeding, I have been nervously bracing myself for that first chomp. I know it's coming and it's got me wincing at every feeding, because I can barely feel them grazing the skin as she nurses.



Ok Mommas- what are your go-to teething remedies? How long does it hurt like this? How to you gently teach a 6 month old not to bite while nursing? Looking for any of your veteran tips and tricks.




The Life Of Faith
Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. teething! I don't have any remedies, I wish I did. But this post made me think that my little munchkin might be teething as well. So I looked up some symptoms and sure enough, he is. His teeth haven't broken through yet, but he isn't sleeping well at all these days, he's fussy, drooling, and putting everything in his mouth. Thanks for pointing out that teething is a possibility! I hope Reese is feeling better and that she doesn't bite you! ...that's something I'm a little scared of as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 teeth at once!? Poor baby girl! I've heard great things about the Hylands tabs but we've stuck to Tylenol and only had to use it a handful of times. Sofia LOVES her mesh feeder when her teeth are bothering her, I just pop an ice cube in there and she'll chomp away :) Good luck, Momma!!

    http://hellonewlywedlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the exact same thing! Between 4.5 months and 6 my sweet little boy was a hot mess! We had JUST moved to Japan and all of a sudden he wasn't sleeping, refused to nurse, was in and out of the ER a few times because he was struggling to breath because he was so congested, had an ear infections... We thought that maybe he was terribly allergic to something in Japan. At one point I did ask the doctor if it was maybe teething and she said that since he was under 6 months that it wasn't. She prescribed an inhaler which did more damage than good. We were about ready to move back to the US thinking something there really didn't agree with him and then he cut his first tooth at exactly 6 months and was FINE! All that crazy was over a tooth. We bought an amber teething necklace (bought off Amazon) and he has cut six more teeth and we haven't had any problems. The amber teething necklaces aren't more chewing on- supposedly the natural oils in the amber react to the natural oils in the skin and became a pain reliever. We also noticed that ibuprofen is more affective than Tylenol but the best remedy has been distraction.

    Good luck! Will be looking forward to reading how it goes!


    XOXO/Lena @ RootandBlossom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, i have an amber necklace, i wasnt using it because i hadnt expected any teeth! I will dig it out and start using it asap, hope it makes a difference for the ones to come! thanks!

      Delete
    2. Oh! And as far as biting goes I was only bitten really hard once with the one tooth and gently bitten just a handful of times. I just flicked his check and it startled him which he didn't care for. Some babies think it's funny and it doesn't work but with my little guy he seemed to feel bad that he upset me so we haven't had any issues. Hopefully you either don't have a biter or find something that works for you!

      Delete
  5. Girl, I've been watching all the teething signs come and go for my daughter too. If only her teeth would break through already! And that first chomp...I'm already dreading it! Let us know what works for you because I'm only a week or two behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're doing everything right according to what I know. It's hard to say how long it will last - each kid handles teething differently! She is sooooo cute, by the way. Hope she is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One more thing I learned about biting - if she starts biting you, just take her off your breast. She's not hungry - if she were, she'd be sucking and not biting. She'll figure out soon enough that your boob is not a toy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It doesn't matter how many teeth we go through, I inevitably find myself wondering why in the world does my baby/toddler seem suddenly possessed by some terrible spirit that never sleeps and whines a lot. Then two days later, I'm like, "oh...I bet she's teething." Every time. You'd think I'd figure it out. Eventually :)

    Thanks for linking up at Babies and Beyond this week. Your daughter is adorable!

    Katherine
    www.proverbsandpacifiers.com

    ReplyDelete