Tuesday, 11 June 2013

Fried Rice Yumminess

I'm sharing another one of my favorite recipes. One that goes perfectly with my Bourbon Chicken. It's a man pleasing meal. My husband requests it almost every week. And I would dare say this fried rice rivals your favorite take-out.
Since moving to our little hole of the world in South Georgia, we have been so disappointed about the lack of any ethnic food in the area. When I was pregnant, I craved Hibachi vegetables and fried rice like crazy and couldn't find it here! That's really when I started making my own fried rice.



What you need:

a wok (or large frying pan)
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 onion
2 garlic cloves- minced
1 cup mixed peas and carrots- frozen bag- thawed
2 eggs
4 cups cooked rice
1/4 c reduced sodium soy sauce

1. I always make my rice a day before. This is the secret in my opinion to having great fried rice. Freshly cooked rice tends to clump together more. If I can't make it the day before, I stick a bowl of cooke rice in the fridge for a few hours to start getting a little stale.
2. Add 2 tablespoons sesame oil to your wok or pan on medium high heat
3. Pulse your onion through a food processor or chop finely, and add to your pan
4. When onion begins getting translucent and fragrant, add your thawed mixed vegetables and minced garlic- stirring for another few minutes
5. Push your cooked veggies and garlic mixture to one side of the pan, and crack both eggs into the opposite side of the pan. You'll want to scramble the eggs up before they have a chance to cook.
6. When eggs are no longer runny, combine with vegetables.
7. Add in all of your rice, mixing in with your vegetables. Sometimes I had another splash of sesame oil if it starts sticking to my pan. You want to keep the heat on medium high, stirring the rice often. 
8. Pour in your soy sauce, and cook rice another 5 minutes. 

Serve and enjoy!

What are some of your go-to weeknight meals? I feel like I'm getting in a rut of the same stuff and always looking for more easy ideas! Linking up for Taste of Tuesday.


7 comments:

  1. I love fried rice, but have never made it myself. I need to try this! Thanks for linking up with Jess and I!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delish! I love fried rice. I look for a recipe for this before but it was so completed. This looks more manageable. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I can a whole take out container of fried rice, so I think a homemade version is a definite must!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my boyfriend & I are obsessed with hibachi fried rice! I need to try this recipe asap!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make homemade fried rice all the time too, my boys even love it and it is a great way to sneak in lots of veggies to their dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh, yummy. Minus the peas you got yourself a nice looking meal. Must add it to my list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious! I LOVE fried rice!

    ReplyDelete