Tuesday, 13 August 2013

Guest Post: Say Hi to Katie

Katie Moore is guest posting for me today from Moore From Katie. She is an active blogger who discusses topics of, motherhood, children, fitness, health and all other things Mommy. Since becoming a mother, she has made many changes to live a more a natural life. Head over and visit her blog, or connect with her through twitter, @moorekm26.

Start Your Pregnancy Off by Switching to Organic Foods and Natural Cleaning Products

Living a natural lifestyle was not something I gave too much thought to until I became pregnant. Like many women, I was a career woman on the go and I often would pick up Chinese take-out on my way home from work (no judging!). For other meals throughout the week, I would take the convenient route and purchase frozen pizzas or pre-packaged meals that were quick and easy to prepare at home.
Once I became pregnant, I started to realize how many preservatives and added chemicals were in the foods that I was consuming. Because I wanted to give my baby as healthy of a start as possible, I began looking for ways to live more organically by incorporating natural foods and natural products into my daily life. Here are a few small changes I made to become a more natural mom to be!

Simple, Wholesome Recipes

I will admit, switching to a diet that was centered on organic foods meant a lot more food preparation time. There just seems to be no easy way around the fact that making wholesome meals takes more time than it does to toss a frozen pizza into the oven. However, I was rewarded with renewed energy by eating healthier so I did not mind the time it took to prepare these meals!
One of the first things I switched to organic was milk. Many milk products purchased in grocery stores have added growth hormones, which can be unhealthy for anyone. Because of this, I started purchasing organic milk and I did not miss the old milk at all! I used organic milk to make quiches with whole-wheat flour, natural cheeses and freshly chopped vegetables.

I decided to start looking online for recipes to keep our dinners fun and fresh. Often times, I would try recipes that replaced ordinary dairy products such as butter, cream and milk with organic dairy products. You can find succulent recipes that include smoked bacon entrees, egg dishes and roasted squash recipes! Experimenting with new recipes while you are pregnant is a great way to keep yourself occupied and focused on doing something positive and productive.

Easy and Natural Homemade Cleaning Products

While researching new organic foods, I also stumbled upon ingredients that are toxic and found in household cleaning products. Another easy step to transform to a more natural lifestyle during and after your pregnancy is to begin making your own cleaning supplies. Not only will you greatly reduce the amount of toxins you are exposed to, you will also be able to save a ton of money on cleaning supplies!
Homemade cleaning products can be made with simple ingredients such as distilled vinegar, water, baking soda and lemon juice. By experimenting with these ingredients just a little bit, you’ll soon discover you can meet all your cleaning needs with organic products that do not put any toxins into your home!

Taken from The Daily Green-
"Instead of bleach, make your own disinfectant by mixing 2 cups of water, 3 tablespoons of liquid soap and 20 to 30 drops of tea tree oil. It's easy!”

I became so much more appreciative of my natural life after making these simple changes. I felt that I became more aware of everything throughout my pregnancy and I have kept up with our natural lifestyle even now with my daughter. I was fortunate enough to have a supportive doctor who helped me every step of the way. He encouraged me to do my research and was informative about so many topics throughout pregnancy from banking our daughter’s cord blood to birthing techniques to swaddling and more! I hope these tips encourage you to life a happy and natural lifestyle.

Katie Moore has written and submitted this article. Katie is an active blogger who discusses the topics of, motherhood, children, fitness, health and all other things Mommy. She enjoys writing, blogging, and meeting new people! To connect with Katie contact her via her blog, Moore From Katie or her twitter, @moorekm26



Hope you all will head over and say hi to Katie, and as always, if any of you are interested in guest posting, feel free to email me at megan.todd@me.com.

1 comment:

  1. Love this!! Switching to a healthier lifestyle is something I'm working on each day. I love organic milk much better than non organic. Thanks for sharing! =D

    ReplyDelete