Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Rotisserie Chicken is Your Friend


Actually it might be your very best friend if you are mom, or a helpless cook, or are super lazy. I happen to be a little bit of all three. Brining home a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store is like a God send, because it means food for a couple days. Seriously, I tear off all the meat as soon as I get home and throw it in a tupperware. Next time you are in food rut,  pick up a chicken and make it stretch a few days with one of these delicious fool proof recipes.


Chicken Caesar Wraps
via BlogChef

Extra lazy? Grab a bag of salad mix. We do this just about every Sunday. 
Its yummy and we never tire of these filling wraps.


BBQ Chicken Quesadilla
via Little Clove
Ya'll I am obsessed. I eat this probably twice a week for lunch. And since I have the palate of a 4 year old, I guarantee this would be a hit with your little ones as well. This is as simple as mixing a little BBQ sauce into your chicken and throwing it on a tortilla with corn, black beans and cheese. SO good.


Easy Enchiladas
via Fork Knife Swoon
People are always intimidated about making enchiladas. They are as hard as easy as you want them to be. Sometimes the extra work for Avocado-cream-sauce-enchiladas is worth it, but sometimes it is NOT. I throw all my chicken in a bowl with chopped green chills, a few spoonfuls of sour cream and a little salsa. Wrap it all up in tortillas, cover in enchilada sauce and cheese and bake. Done. 


Chicken Salad Sandwiches
via fromValerieskitchen
Another super simple lunch idea you might be able to get me or your little ones to eat if you take out the crunchy celery. No, seriously, chicken salad is so versatile. Sub Greek yogurt for the mayo to pack it with protein. Add grapes or cranberries if you want a sweet bite, or relish if you prefer. Easy peasy.


And before you throw away all those bones and skin, wait! Throw it all in a crock pot! Cover with water, add a clove of garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, and a bay leaf and cook on low for 8 hours (or overnight like I do). You will have the most delicious chicken broth and can freeze it for when the need arises! Double awesome!


These are a few of my favorite things to do with Rotisserie chicken. But the possibilities are endless! Whats your favorite way to use rotisserie chicken?



6 comments:

  1. See, I think I underestimate rotisserie chicken...It's time I give it another chance..so easy to make gooooood dinners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to eat on a rotisserie chicken for days!! I need to be better and incorporate it into your suggestions so I don't get bored with just chicken and veggies! Thanks for the inspiration!! :) Glad you linked up!!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why I've never bought a rotisserie chicken before, cutting and preparing raw chicken disgusts me. It really is one of my least favorite things to do. All of those recipes look really yummy and if I had one of those chickens it would really make them easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do this too! Do you ever freeze the chicken? I throw it all in a freezer bag. It keeps for a while, and I have cooked, chopped chicken ready to use! I have never thought about making broth with the skin and bones, though! That's brilliant! Another thing I do with meat is something I talked about in a post once. I brown and drain like 5-6 pounds of hamburger meat at a time and freeze them in 1-pound portions in freezer bags. It's super handy. Here's the post if you want to take a look: http://www.theladyokieblog.com/2013/06/a-brilliant-idea-involving-meat.html :) Hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why I have never frozen it. Probably because we eat it all up, but freezing already cooked meat is just genius. I'm the laziest boring cook ever. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. MmMM!! I love rotisserie :) And these recipes make me love it even more!

    ReplyDelete