Wednesday, 23 October 2013

Managing Priorities


Sometimes I feel like I only add things to my to-do list and things rarely get crossed off. Does anyone else feel like that? I merely shuffle other things to do the bottom of the list so I can add more urgent things to do. Somehow there aren't enough hours in the day, not enough helping hands, and I wonder how I get so little done when I am a Stay-at-homer.

My hair hasn't been cut/ colored since I was pregnant. Umm, hello... my baby is 9 months old now! My gym membership expired a year ago. I have been meaning to buy myself something for our Christmas photos. But instead of making any of those things a priority, they fall by the wayside while I do more important mom-things. Do all Mommy's have lists that place themselves at the very bottom?


I am so envious of Mom's who hop out of bed in the morning, get their workout in, start their day with a bang, already have dinner planned and laundry in the dryer by 8am. I'm usually up 3 times between 3 and 6am, and usually give up and just let Reese wake up around 6:30. I'm dragging at the starting line. There's cloth diapers in the dryer and my clean stash is empty. I have family coming on Friday and sheets to wash, and probably 3 other loads of laundry to do. My child has no shoes (well she doesnt walk anyway!) and running low on clothes. I am running out of baby food, and I've been estranged from my blog for weeks.  My eyebrows may or may not be starting to connect in the middle. I need more time.

And when I get that precious time during nap, do you know what I want to do? Make coffee, sit my ass on Pinterest, plan Reese's birthday party, dig up more coupons for baby clothes and headbands and NOT do the things on my list. In fact, I'm spending morning nap saying hello to my blog and eating Pumpkin Spice Hershey's kisses for breakfast. Sigh.

My to-lists are a freaking joke. But at least I can admit it.

Being a stay-at-homer is a lot harder than I ever thought it would be. It's easy to beat myself up about all of the things that didn't get done during the day. But when I take a harder look at what has been done. Things like... playing outside with Reese, going on a walk, playing frisbee with the dog while Reese laughs, sharing lunch, making a complete mess finger painting, taking a bubble bath together and letting her play for 5 extra minutes. Well those are the things that matter. Those are moments I will remember. And they weren't even on my list.




3 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post! Teething babies at night is no joke! Reminds me of the newborn days with lack of sleep. But don't beat yourself up, things will get better once they turn one...or at least that's what I tell myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you! The diapers in the dryer, no haircut in months, and spending naptime on pinterest or blogging - sounds just like my house! :) Don't be too hard on yourself...you're right that those moments with your daughter are more important. You only get this time once - laundry will always be there! You're a good mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just talking to my husband about this!!! Being home all day is SO repetitive and such routine...that is why we put ourselves last in line on the "To do" list!! I feel you on this subject so much!! So glad I found your blog:)

    Boy, oh {mamas} boys Blog

    ReplyDelete