Monday, 14 October 2013

Reese is 9 Months Old


Reese,

I can't believe you have officially been out of my tummy now longer than you were in it. Where did all of that time go? When I look at your updates, you don't even look like the same baby you were months ago. You have shed your baby skin, and are now a moving, babbling, crawling, busy almost-toddler. Some days I don't believe it, that your daddy and I have a 9 month old. We feel your first birthday looming around the corner and it makes us ache. Watching each month pass is still bittersweet. Watching you learn, change with each passing week is such a blessing. But packing up each box of little clothes that no longer fit makes me long for the days you were scrunched up like a little froggy newborn.



You are keeping Momma and Dada on our toes these days. You waited a long time to crawl. Really, it took you almost 9 months. But now that you are moving, we can't keep up with you! You are our little explorer, wanting to check out every dog bowl, piece of fuzz on the carpet, every reflection of yourself in the oven, dishwasher and garbage can. You never stop, baby! 


Your personality has changed so much the past few months. You babble all the time, and even sing songs when music is on in the car. You know how to fake-cry and you surely know how to real-cry. We know when you are unhappy. You fuss, and arch your back and hit and bite. I know its hard not being able to use words yet. You are learning the meaning of the word "no" now, and you don't like it.

Some days are hard, but most days are wonderful. You are such a happy baby. You nuzzle your head on ours, and give us slobbery kisses and we just melt. You are the center of our world, baby. We adore you and love you more than the day we brought you home. 



Weight: 20 pounds 12 ounces and 29 1/2 inches long and wearing 12-18 month clothing. Holy Moly!

I never thought I would hear a doctor call you "lanky" in all my life. You always hovered above the 90th percentile, but you have finally starting hitting a plateau now that you are too busy to eat all the time.

Milestones: You say "dada" "baba - for me".You are crawling and pulling to a stand. You officially have 6 teeth and more on the way.


Sleep: I give up. You really are the worst sleeper in the world. We've tried going to bed drowsy, going to bed asleep, the sleep shuffle, me patting you and shh-ing while you cry cry cry away. Honestly, I went through a few weeks where I tried everyone's suggestions, I blamed myself for co-sleeping, I blamed you, I blamed everyone, and it only made me more frustrated, more angry. 
So I stopped comparing you to everyone else's sweet sleeping babies. I take each night and each 1-2 hour night waking as it comes. I'm rolling with it. Because eventually you will sleep through the night. It just might not be til your are two!

Eating: You have very little interest in any big girl food. I have been putting bite size pieces of everything on your tray for weeks and you just send it to the dog. If I try to squeeze a mum mum or piece of banana into your mouth it is a total gag-fest. You are doing great with purees. Sweet potatoes and blueberries are still your favorite. But nothing touches Momma's milk. Milk is still your favorite. It's my favorite too. Though it's not as easy to nurse with your foot in my eye, or you crawling away with my nipple. You are distracted by everything. You'd much prefer your milk to-go, but we still squeeze in a session 6-7 times a day.


Worst Moments: Teeth. This will be my answer every month I think. You were blessed with a mouth full of teeth honey. It hurts you, makes you cranky, and doesn't help our sleep situation any. You also went through a huge mental leap this past month. Everything made you so frustrated. You'd swing your head back and cry when your toys didn't do exactly like you wanted. But you came out of the growth spurt with so many great skills and a much better mood.

Best Moments: Watching you crawl for the first time. Giving your first slobbery kisses. Moving to a new house. Taking better naps. A visit from your MeMe. And learning to play by yourself for longer amounts of time.


9 comments:

  1. Oh this is such a beautiful post. Reese sounds like an older, girl version of my son. The sleep thing! Oh we had a nice 12midnight to 5am thing going on and then at 12 weeks we switched to taking 45 minute naps only and wanting 'boobies' every 90 minutes! I'm hoping that this will all back to how things were when we get to week 19 next week - that's how I found your blog I was looking up wonder weeks. You're right, it is bittersweet watching them grow isn't it. It's wonderful to see all those steps forward - new noises, new movements etc but at the same time I'm always thinking 'you'll never be this age again and one day you're going to be all grown up and won't want to sit on mummy's knee anymore and boobies time will come to an end and you're going to leave home and meet a girl etc etc.' I went to my baby group last week and a load of new mums and babies had joined and all the babies were like 4-8 weeks and my son just looked massive compared to them. Where did my newborn go?!! I guess it is a good reminder to cherish every moment. Great photos of your gorgeous girl btw. I always find it difficult to capture the smiles as my son gets distracted as soon as he sees the camera! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to go through these tough wonder weeks every other month. It helps me to tell myself that these moments will pass. The good ones pass too quickly too.
      Happy to have you

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh!! She is soo soo darling!! 9 months is one of my favorite stages. It just keeps getting better and better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweetheart!! My daughter just turned 9 months last week - my husband said the exact same thing - she's been out as long as she was in now...that blows my mind!! How is it possible that they're already almost to their first birthdays??!!? Sounds like your daughter is about the same size as mine too! :) So much fun watching them grow and learn new things almost every day isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, you are not alone. We are in the worst sleep of our lives here too. Every 2-3 hours and nothing works to calm Aislynn down but to nurse her. It amazing how little sleep we can run on right? Hang in there, I keep telling myself she won't nurse forever and she will eventually start sleeping through the night...probably when she's a toddler or not teething :) Happy nine months Reese!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many great milestones! She appears to be rocking this whole growth and development thing. :)

    XO/Lena @ Root&Blossom

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stumbled upon your blog and I love it! I am a first time mom to my little boy who is almost five months old. Hope you don't mind if I follow to see what's in store for us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! 5 months is an awesome age! Thanks for following!

      Delete
  7. I just found your blog (after doing a Google search for "Wonder Weeks 19 holy GOD HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?") (okay only half of that), and I love it!! Adding you to my feedly now!

    ReplyDelete